Fantasy Banquet for Bibliophiles
Get your literary juices flowing over Christmas!
Win £500! Get yourself Published!
You are asked to describe, in 1,000 words, an imaginary banquet for book-lovers. Your characters can be alive, dead or fictional, from any period, of any age, colour or creed.
Imagine you’ve got Virginia Woolf chatting to Germaine Greer - or Thomas Jefferson to Malcolm X. Maybe Peter Pan is sitting beside Evelyn Waugh. What would they eat and drink? Might they wish to dance afterwards? Has Elizabeth Bennet remembered her dancing shoes?
No need to follow the rule of six! No need to bring your own bottle! No restrictions of any sort.
Entrance is free.
Entries should be submitted as pdfs only and sent to email@example.com by 22 January 2021.
The winning entry will be printed in The Book Collector.
Full T&Cs below.
Competition Rules & Regulations
- Entrants may come from any country and must have reached the age of sixteen.
- Entrance is free.
- No professional qualifications or writing experience is required to enter.
- Only one submission per applicant will be considered.
- Automated entries, bulk entries and third-party entries will be disqualified.
- Entries should be submitted as a MS Word Document or .pdf file, size A4.
- Entries should ideally be between 700 - 800 words. Any submissions that are longer than 1000 words are likely to be disqualified.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Banquet Entry’
- Entries should include a title and the name of the author.
- Author contact details will be collected at the time of submission and should not be included in the entry document.
- Every entry will be given a reference number and acknowledgement via email.
- The competition will be open between 1 November 2020 and 22 January 2021.
- The entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges at The Book Collector.
- The winning entry will win a prize of £500 (or the equivalent in dollars or euros).
- The winner will be notified by email and/or phone.
- The winner will be announced on 14 February 2021.
- The winner and a short list of runners-up will have their entries published by The Book Collector.
Copyright remains with the originator but The Book Collector reserves the right to reproduce any or all of the entries, with appropriate credits, in a future issue or issues; and to display entries (with full accreditation) during the course of any publicity.
The Book Collector's website is at www.thebookcollector.co.uk It is fully compliant with the provisions of the Data Protection Act and GDPR. Your details will not be passed to any third party without your prior consent.
All enquiries should be sent to Emma Brown at email@example.com
If you are not a subscriber yet, but would like to have a 24-hour temporary access to our extensive archive, which includes all issues from the last 68 years, please contact Emma for access to our digital Reading Room.